Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Traveling Tummy: Mamak





I can never resist ROTI. I think our Indian friends actually created the PERFECT bread when they invented this one. It's nice and flat, crispy then chewy and a perfect accompaniment to food, but also good eaten alone with nothing but dips.

When we planned a Ramen night in Crow's Nest last week that didn't push through because the place was closed for the holidays (I don't remember Australia having so many, It feels like the Philippines with all the holidays and long weekends!)my friend Geraldine suggested we go to Mamak in Chatswood instead. The original Mamak branch is in the city and apparently people line up outside for over an hour sometimes to get a seat. It's been touted as the best and most authentic Malaysian restaurant in Sydney.

I am very picky with my Malaysian. I usually find it too spicy. I spent a week in Kuala Lumpur looking for chicken rice for each meal because my weak tongue couldn't take even their "mild" heat.

I originally wanted the Nasi Lemak with Ayam Goreng (Malaysian fried chicken) but guess what, they were out of chicken----WHAT!!!!! So I got it with lamb curry instead. We got a few orders of Roti Canai as well w/ curry and sambal dips.

My adorable little god daughter Kala...hungrily but patiently waiting for our food (Our order came mad quick by the way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment