Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Restaurant Rave: L'Opera Rsitorante Italiano

Warning: This post has no photos. I was too busy eating.

Very few things make me happier than a well-cooked steak. After so many “misses” in the last few months, I finally encountered a “hit”- and not even in a new place. L’Opera has been around for awhile, but I had not eaten there in awhile. I was initially reluctant to order steak because of the many below par ones I have been eating in restaurants lately. I usually save the steak for home consumption, where I can cook it exactly the way I like it-medium rare (medium at most) For some reason, so many people do not understand that by medium rare, I mean almost red, and bloody when cut. When I ask for medium rare, I get a barely pink steak, and when I ask for medium, I get well-done.

Anyway- I arrived at the restaurant starving so I decided to start with some soup to tide me over. I ordered the Zuppa de Cipolle-onion soup (P220), which, unlike French onion soup that is overloaded with cheese (w/c mind you, I like also) was encased in a pastry shell. This version was light, with tender pieces of onion and did not leave me too full to eat my main.

I ordered the Tagliata di Manzo con Fegato D’oca in Salsa Tartufata con Spinaci e Asparagus or Baked Prime U.S. beef tenderloin in L’Opera’s truffle sauce embedded with pan-fried Foie Gras and served with fresh spinach and asparagus (P1,100) I cut a slice of beef and was ecstatic to see nice red meat inside. The foie gras added another dimension to the beef, and if it wasn’t rich enough, the truffle sauce made it to die for. I ate every last bite of this meal. Why have I not been to L’Opera in a long time again?!

You would think that one would be stuffed after eating all of that, but I wanted something sweet. The panna cotta con frutti de bosco (P240) called out to me, so I ordered that despite knowing that it would probably be heavy. Screw it, It was a Sunday! Another thing I love is a well-made panna cotta. It is such a simple, clean tasting dessert and can be topped with almost anything. I had asked for raspberry topping on mine and when my order came, I was taken by surprise at how big the serving was. But no complaints, I ate (almost) the entire thing.

Although this restaurant is not new, it is definitely something you shouldn’t sleep on. Food has always been good for as long as I have been eating here. it may be a little pricey, so save it for special occasions if you must but definitely worth eating here at least once!

L’Opera is located at The Fort Entertainment Complex, 26th St. cor., 5th Ave. Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City. Call 889-3963 for reservations

No comments:

Post a Comment