Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kitschen Chaos: Stuffed Tomatoes

This is actually part of yesterday’s Kitchen Chaos but I thought I’d save it for today because yesterday’s post was getting too long already.

As I was saying, I am still not used to having to excessively think about a menu because of dietary restrictions but ever since I started dating Abdul, I have been careful about pork (at least when he’s eating over) and now one of my best friend’s has gone all pesco-veg on me. It’s all good, it helps me get creative and invent new recipes!

So, stuffed tomatoes. It actually started with “I think I’ll make stuffed tomatoes” I picked up the tomatoes, and wondered “What can I stuff them with?” I scanned the seafood counter, spotted the crab meat and just grabbed some before I could change my mind. I picked up a few other things to mix with it and that was that. Recipe Below:

Tomatoes stuffed with Crabmeat (again, measurements are more or less accurate. Adjust to your taste)

1/4 k. crab meat, 200g fresh button mushrooms, diced (canned mushrooms are shit. They should not even be called mushrooms anymore), 1/3 c. crumbled feta cheese, 3/4 c. caramelized onions, 2 Tbs garlic, 1/2 bar cream cheese, juice of 1/2 lemon, about 15 basil leaves, ripped up quickly (it doesn’t need to look pretty), 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, 10 medium sized tomatoes, rock salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (freshly ground pepper makes a difference!) 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese, 1/4 c. fresh grated parmesan.

1. Chop onions, mushrooms and garlic and set aside.

2. Fry onions and deglaze several times to bring flavors out (I added, salt, pepper, a bit of cayenne pepper and oregano to the onions)


3. Mix together cream cheese, caramelized onions, garlic, feta, mushrooms, crab meat, lemon juice, breadcrumbs and basil in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. This unappetizing looking stuffing is actually really good!

4. Cut of the tops of the tomatoes and scoop all the seeds out until the tomato is hollow. Stuff with the crab meat goodness.


5. Top with cheddar and parmesan cheese. Pile it on high, don’t be shy!

6. Bake at 350C until cheese is slightly toasted, about 15 minutes.



Now eat them before they get cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment