Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kitschen Chaos: Taaaaaaaacos!

One of my go to dishes when I’m either too lazy to take time to prepare a meal, or just want something fast (like w/n 20 minutes) is tacos. There are several reasons why I love making this.

1. You don’t actually have to cook anything except the meat.

2. You can “build” your own meal. Everything is laid out in front of you and you can put what you like and ignore the rest.

3. If you make a large batch of the ground beef, you will have left overs-perfect for the next day, or as a midnight snack.

4. Men love tacos. And since I was cooking for both my dad and Abdul, this was the logical choice.

500g ground beef, cumin powder, chili powder, spanish paprika, garlic powder, 1/2 c chopped onions, 1/4 cup chopped garlic, 1 packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix, 2/3 cups juice from a can of stewed tomatoes, the rest of the stewed tomatoes, chopped lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese, taco shells.

1. Saute onions until soft and add in garlic. Season with cumin, chili, paprika, salt and pepper.


2. When slightly brown, add ground beef and cook until meat is browned and there is not more pink. Drain the liquid and then add the taco mix and tomato juice.


*Note: The taco mix packet actually says add 2/3 cup water. The tomato juice is my own thing to add more flavor.

3. Simmer for about 5 or so minutes.Add some chili flakes for some zing. Meanwhile, put the lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and cheese into small bowls and set up on the table, along with the taco shells. When beef is ready, bring to the table too (duh.)


4. Build your own taco!



Note: I already put a lot of onions into the beef because I can’t stand fresh onions, but do what YOU like. Also, I use stewed tomatoes because, guess what, I don’t like fresh tomatoes either. I know, I’m weird.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment