Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Traveling Tummy-LA: ANIMAL

While looking up places to eat in LA, I came across the restaurant ANIMAL and was curious to see what it was all about. They have an interesting menu that pushes most people's food limits (fried veal brains, veal tongue etc) but it really excited me. Since LA is not really a walking city, it was frustrating for me to read up on all these places I didn't know if I could get to because it's too expensive to cab it everywhere and I wasn't sure how much access I'd have to a car. Fortunately, my friend who I hadn't seen in years invited me to dinner, and guess where it was? YUP, Animal! haha! My other friend graciously drove me around while I was in LA so it all worked out in the end. Here's what we ate (sorry about photo quality. Stupid me forgot my camera in manila so I was on my galaxy tab!)

shrimp & rabbit sausage spring roll, eggplant, sprouts, green curry- I think Im starting to like rabbit. Well, Ive only ever had it mixed with veal or in this case shrimp, but the flavor is very mild. I wish there was more of this dish hehe!

chicken liver toast-Not a fan of chicken liver EVER. I ate some of this but I was just glad the onion jam masked the metallic liver taste.

hamachi tostada, herbs, fish sauce vinaigrette, peanut- Didn't get to try this but the rest of the table said it was great!

foie gras terrine, satsuma marmalade, endive, quarter spice toast-Something breakfast dreams are made of. Seriously. Yes with the foie gras.

veal tongue, smoked foie gras, pastrami spices, crab apple- not a fan of lengua in any form but I had more than a bite of this. It went so well with the smoked foie gras. I'd eat this again.

tandoori octopus, tamarind, kumquat, raita- Big big fan of octopus. This was a no brainer. I liked it.

polenta, six-hour bolognese, parmesan- Comfort food on its best day. If i were having a bad day, I'd wanna come home and sleep in a bed of this.

veal brains, vadouvan, apricot puree, carrot- Veal brains aren't exactly first on my list of things to eat but hey, why not. Everything else was good. They had a jello-y consistency but a very mild flavor. It's so different from what you'd think brains would taste like after too many Zombie flicks. Maybe the walking dead are actually on to something.

poutine, oxtail gravy- Thank You Canada for the wonderful thing that is poutine. Seriously. There are no words.

balsamic pork ribs, braised greens, chili oil, garlic- This was yummy but Im pretty sure I could make it at home!

My friend Chris with his wife Chrissy

With my cousin Cristina (I was surrounded by people named Chris that night haha)

Kyle and Roch, my gracious hosts for the 3 extra days I was in LA <3




Animal Restaurant 435 N. Fairfax Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90036
Reservations: (323) 782 9225

No comments:

Post a Comment