Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kitschen Chaos: My favorite Tomato Soup

Among the many things I always say I LOVE (mushrooms, cheese, garlic) I think soup is high up in that very extensive list. I could eat soup during every single meal, and even make it the meal itself.

My love for Tomato soup started when my friend and I would regularly meet at Pasto at The Fort for mid-day breaks between work schedules and would almost always order the tomato soup--with extra parmesan cheese. Granted, it's probably not the best tomato soup in the world, but it definitely hit the spot.

Now, I make my own instead. I can make large batches and leave it in the freezer/ fridge and pop in the microwave whenever I need my fix!


Ingredients:

2 cans stewed tomatoes (or whole peeled ones) I love stewed tomatoes- I use it for many things.

2 pieces bread. Whatever bread is lying around the house.

1 head garlic, chopped (Less if you want less of a garlicky taste)

1/2 tsp each dried oregano, rosemary and thyme

salt and pepper to taste

handful of basil leaves

all purpose cream or sour cream

Shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese

Saute garlic with salt and pepper and rosemary, thyme and oregano until fragrant. Add stewed tomatoes. Wait for it to slightly boil then rip your bread into little pieces and throw in (this will thicken your soup) Add cream after the bread has broken down into the soup (or sour cream) (I've tried both and they are interchangeable) and then add cheese by the handful (It's up to you how much- keep tasting) Lastly add the basil but keep a few leaves for garnish later on.

This is a thick, hearty soup and perfect for nights you don't want rice or a super heavy meal- just a bowl of this is good enough!

Even better though with cheese on toast! I made garlic butter and spread it on my bread then melted some smoked gouda cheese--> and served to my hungry boyfriend and daughter! Always a hit. Use any cheese you want.

As I said you can eat it on its own as a meal but that night I also made Pesto pasta and the beef bites from my previous entry.

Enjoy! I always do!

No comments:

Post a Comment