Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Traveling Tummy-London: Portobello Market

Last time I visited Portobello Market was 2005 when I was in London for my short course. I was dying to go back to find little cute things for my new apartment. When I went last, I bought a 1930's camera for about 20 pounds and it still worked. I wanted things to hang on my walls or maybe vintage plates and such.

It was a cold and wet day that Saturday we went, and right when we got off at the Notting Hill station, I was already kind of regretting that we went, mostly because of the sheer amount of people that were there. But we soldiered through it and although there were so many things I wanted, I ended up not buying anything.

But first--> Breakfast! Ricotta Pancakes with creme fraiche and fresh strawberries

My once-again very gracious hosts Missy and Faisal. Missy is my college friend and Faisal's her fiance! Can't wait for the wedding in November!

Fruit puree with Riesling (our version of mimosas with what we had haha)

My eggs rothko with a layer of mushroom-rosemary cream sauce and topped with mature cheddar.
After brunch, we trekked over to the market (I saw trekked because Missy lives on the other side of London, but really, it's not too far) 

I wanted to get that deer head for the house! But it was like 40 quid womp womp!

Cool stamps! There were so many and I was lazy to go through every single one. Abdul got a few nice ones here a few years ago.

I wanted to bring this girl home with me but she was almost 100 pounds!




More old cameras!!!

Loved the plates but I didn't know how I was supposed to bring them home. Every time I'm in London I miss the 50kg limit going to and from the States! How do I fit everything in 20kg!!!

To be honest, Portobello has gotten really commercialized in the past few years and there are a lot of stalls selling China-made clothes and such. I guess it's worth a visit still if you are a first timer in Londontown! :)

Dinner was Angulas (The real kind, not the pretend kind we have here hehe) with baguette and goat's cheese. Happy Tummy!

Aaaand roasted tomato soup. I usually add sugar to cut through the acidity but the tomatoes we bought were so sweet it didn't need it! Bon Appetit!

Missing London already...again. Hope I have a reason to go back soon. 

To get to Portobello Market, get off at the Notting Hill gate tube station and follow the crowd. Promise you won't get lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment