Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Traveling Tummy-Cambodia: Day 1

I'm back!

I was in Cambodia 4 years ago and fell in love with Siem Reap-hard! I always told myself I would come back and a few years later, and here I am, with my whole family with me and my daughter in tow. I know I always say I love every single city I visit, but I'm thinking it's more the traveling and discovering new places part that I really love.

From as early as ten years old, I've been traveling sans parents so I really enjoy the feeling of being lost in a new place, finding my own special spots that I go back to every time I visit and just walking and taking everything in. Siem Reap's quaint charm will knock your socks off and make you want to stay a few months and just live simply, as the people here do. For a developing country with such a heartbreaking past, the Khmer people are surprisingly and pleasantly friendly, smile-y people. 

You will find these multi-headed serpents or "nagas" everywhere in Siem Reap.

Best mode of transportation-tuktuks! A lot like our local tricycles, just a bit bigger.

For yummy ice cream and breakfast-The Blue Pumpkin! (Separate post on this next time!)

One of Siem Reap's little lane ways,

Entrance of Angkor Thom-protected by both gods and demons.

My daughter and I at the entrance of Angkor Thom. Imagine, these things were made centuries ago with no machinery or cement!

Some people spent their entire lives building these temples.


Family photo outside Bayon Temple in Angkor Thom

Street food: Grilled Bananas! Banana-q without the oil and sugar!

The Old Market right in the center of the city.

Grab a few strong happy hour drinks at The Warehouse.

The restaurant that made me change my mind about Khmer food. I used to not like it but the food there was so good! Taking a cooking class today!
  More on Cambodia soon! :) Last day today and off to KL tomorrow en route to home :D

No comments:

Post a Comment