Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Traveling Tummy-Cambodia: Day 2

Despite the lack of sleep the entire week, it was still a great idea to wake up at 4 am to catch the sunrise in Angkor Wat. I always recommend that people make that extra effort to see it slowly lit up in the early hours of the morning--> on a good day with a great sunrise, it's simply breathtaking.

With the fam at about 630am in Angkor Wat

Although I know Angkor Wat is what people go to Siem Reap for, I am a bigger fan of Ta Prohm, which many will know from Tomb Raider. I love how nature just took over and you have large trees growing out of the different areas of the temple. There is something eerily beautiful about the place and among all the temples in Siem Reap, this is the one they left pretty much as is with only minor restoration. In my opinion, it doesn't really need it.



As my dad said on twitter-Nature always wins! How awesome are all of these?


  We also went back to Angkor Thom because we promised Ananda an elephant ride. There's something about elephants that make the kid in people just come out!

She was scared at first, but after the first banana, she didn't want to stop feeding the elephants!

Bungisngis!

With my parents on another elephant

An elephant's view of Bayon Temple in Angkor Thom

Our day wasn't over yet. We all had lunch at Khmer Kitchen (best for Khmer food in my opinion) and then Ananda and I went to the Old Market to find her a souvenir to take home.

Hot air balloon for an aerial view of Siem Reap

Dried fish (to make into fish paste use din many Khmer dishes)

Ananda found her souvenir- a bongo with real snakeskin. She helped me haggle it down to almost half the price!

Clams cooked in garlic and chili then dried out in the sun. Didn't try this, our guide did not recommend it LOL #streetfood

Soup Dragon for dinner--> a Vietnamese spot on Pub Street

The place to be if you want a place that's crackin' at night.

OMG, Cambodia, I can't stress enough how much I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment