Kitchen MIshaps and Victories, Restaurant Rants and Raves and a whole lotta wanderlust!

Monday, November 22, 2010

History 101: Tastes of my Childhood

We've been having Sunday lunch with my mom's side for as long as I can remember. It started in my grandparents' home, and when they passed away, we moved it to my Uncle's house.

Food on Sundays are never extravagant and we've been eating the same food here since I was a little kid. The usual food on rotation includes home-made pancit palabok, roast chicken, fried chicken, lasagna, baked fetuccine alfredo, eggplant parmegiana, hamburgers and mashed potatoes, spaghetti bolognese, fried catfish, kare-kare, molo soup, fried fish fillets, dinuguan and puto, spare ribs, arroz caldo and a variety of desserts (but always turon! every week!) I can't remember the other food now but you get the idea.

Last Sunday:


Fetuccine Alfredo with spinach noodles.


Catfish


Kare-kare


Fried Chicken Wings


And of course, Turon!

To be completely honest, quality of food declined when my lola passed away, but it's not horrible or anything, just not as super duper good as before. But at the end of the day, my Sunday food has familiar tastes that will always give me comfort and bring me back to being a little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment